Teacher Traning Program (TTP)
The purpose of the Teacher Training Program is to provide an extensive presentation of particular subjects of Mahayana Buddhism to enable practitioners to deepen their knowledge and experience of Buddhism, and to train as qualified New Kadampa Tradition Teachers. All Resident Teachers of Kadampa Buddhist Centers follow this in-depth program of study and practice.
The program comprises the following twelve subjects, based on Buddha’s Sutra and Tantric teachings and the corresponding commentaries by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
- The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune
- Training the Mind, based on the commentaries Universal Compassion and Eight Steps to Happiness
- The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary Heart of Wisdom
- Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold
- Types of Mind, based on the commentary Understanding the Mind
- Guide to the Middle Way, based on the commentary Ocean of Nectar
- Vajrayana Mahamudra, based on the commentary Clear Light of Bliss
- The Bodhisattva’s Moral Discipline, based on the commentary The Bodhisattva Vow
- Offering to the Spiritual Guide, based on the commentaries Great Treasury of Merit and Mahamudra Tantra
- Vajrayogini Tantra, based on the commentary Guide to Dakini Land
- Grounds and Paths of Secret Mantra, based on the commentary Tantric Grounds and Paths
- The Practice of Heruka Body Mandala, based on the commentary Essence of Vajrayana
TTP in Safety Harbor
This semester the Safety Harbor TTP class has the very special opportunity to study Essence of Vajrayana. This book is the essential commentary to the practice of Heruka Body Mandala composed by the living Tantric Master, Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche.
Through systematic study and meditation on this profound practice we will come to realize the very essence of Buddha’s tantric teachings and eventually come to abide forever in the vast space of the union of appearance and emptiness as a Heruka, from which state we can effortlessly benefit all living beings.
Resident Teacher Gen Kelsang Chokyan has received the blessing empowerments of Heruka Body Mandala directly from Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso many times. He has been a sincere practitioner of Heruka Body Mandala for over 14 years and has completed many retreats on the practice. Gen Chokyan has received oral instructions from many senior teachers in the New Kadampa Tradition including many practical clarifications about the practice.
Students interested in the program must have received Highest Yoga Tantra Empowerments or have the sincere intention to receive them in the future.
Sundays 1:00pm – 5:30pm with a break from 3:00 – 3:30pm
Several week-long retreats are offered throughout the year which are also part of the TTP program.
The Teacher Training Program is a structured study program to help students deepen their own study and practice of Buddha’s teachings as well as learn how to teach others. Regular meditation retreats throughout the year are built into the program for the students’ personal development as well as teaching skills classes and discussions. Please contact us if you are interested in joining the program.