The purpose of the Foundation Program (FP) is to provide a systematic presentation of particular subjects of Mahayana Buddhism to enable practitioners to deepen their knowledge and experience of Buddhism.
The program comprises the following five subjects, based on Buddha’s Sutra teachings and their corresponding commentaries by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
- The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune
- Training the Mind, based on the commentaries Universal Compassion and Eight Steps to Happiness
- The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary The New Heart of Wisdom
- Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold
- Types of Mind, based on the commentary How to Understand the Mind
If you have been attending the General Program classes for a while and feel you want to deepen your meditation practice you may be interested in joining FP.
The Foundation Program is a systematic study program that helps the practitioner to engage in structured study, meditation and discussion. In this way we are able to gain a deeper understanding of the meaning of Buddha’s teachings, maintain a daily meditation practice that is both focused and powerful, and make genuine spiritual progress.
Students are required to attend class each week, and listen to a recording of any missed class. The class runs by semesters and has breaks for holidays and summer.
Please contact the center and inquire if you are interested in joining the program or stop by any class to check it out. Correspondence programs are also available. Email us to get enrolled.
The Safety Harbor FP class is studying the second half of Joyful Path of Good Fortune.
Classes resume on January 24th.
Tuesdays, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
201 6th Ave S
Safety Harbor, FL 34695
The Tampa FP class meets twice a week and is studying Universal Compassion.
Classes resume on January 23rd.
Mondays 7:30pm – 9:00pm
Saturdays 10:00am – 12:00pm
308 E 7th Ave
Tampa FL 33602
(Parking in the back)